I feel like this recipe looks like a lot of steps, but it really isn’t bad. What I love about it is that it saves really well. I prepped everything one day and then I was able to eat on it for several days. I chopped up my kale really fine and saved it in a ziplock and then I was able to just throw the salad together each day for lunch! I would highly recommend it and I really liked mine with the farro, but you could totally skip it.
Roasted Sweet Potato, Chickpea, and Kale Salad Bowls
via Gimme Some Oven
SALAD BOWL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 batch Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas (see below)
- 6-8 cups roughly-chopped Lacinato or curly kale, tough stems removed
- (optional: 2 cups cooked farro or quinoa¹)
- 1 avocado**, peeled and pitted and sliced
- half a small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced or diced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 1 batch Dreamy Tahini Dressing
ROASTED SWEET POTATOES AND CHICKPEAS INGREDIENTS:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each: garlic powder + ground cumin + smoked paprika
- pinch of cayenne
- Kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
TO MAKE THE SALAD BOWLS:
- Prepare the Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas as directed below. Then to save time, prep the remaining ingredients while the sweet potato mixture is roasting in the oven.
- Once the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are ready to go, add the kale to your serving bowl, or portion it evenly between your food storage containers. (Optional: add in the cooked farro, if you’d like.) Top evenly with the roasted sweet potato, chickpeas, avocado, red onion, dried cranberries, and pepitas. Then drizzle everything evenly with the dressing.
- Serve immediately, garnished with extra lemon slices/wedges if desired. Or store in sealed containers for up to 4 days.
TO MAKE THE ROASTED SWEET POTATOES AND CHICKPEAS:
- Heat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add the sweet potatoes and chickpeas, and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle evenly with the garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika and cayenne, and toss until evenly combined.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture out onto the prepared baking sheet in an even layer. Then season everything evenly with a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through and soft. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack until ready to use.
¹ To make cooked farro, bring 3 cups of vegetable stock (or chicken stock, or lightly-salted water) to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add farro, and simmer for about 30 minutes until the farro is soft and chewy. Drain off any excess liquid, then serve.
² If meal prepping these bowls ahead of time, wait to add the avocado until just before serving the bowls. It won’t hold up well in the fridge over multiple days.
I included some of the prep time in the cooking time listed above, since you can multitask it while the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting. 😉